- Ability to make independent decisions: Auditors cannot allow themselves to be influenced by anyone, even when dealing with highly sensitive information.
- Strong attention to detail: Thoroughness and accuracy are essential.
- Understanding of different business needs: Auditors must be able to understand the structure of a business and what it entails.
- Dependability and trustworthiness: Auditors must stay on schedule, attend meetings on time and offer timely feedback on the progress of their work. They must be discreet with the information to which they have access and share their findings only with those who have a need to know.
- Effective communications skills: Auditors must be able to present their findings to concerned parties and have the skills to explain and elaborate if required.